Transforming the Puerto Rico WIC Program to improve effectiveness in the promotion of healthy lifestyles early in childhood and a long lasting culture
PROJECT SUMMARY: Traditionally, education on feeding practices related to the problem of early childhood obesity in Puerto Rico is delivered through in-person meetings. However, with low participation and low adherence to WIC guidelines, there is a need to restructure the method of delivering this education, such as with information technology.
Our approach includes two phases:
- Evaluate novel interventions through surveys and community-based participatory research.
- Develop a pilot project based on formative research to improve lifestyles among WIC infants using the empowerment model and leveraging technology.
[Pictured Left to Right]
- Cristina Palacios, PhD, MSc, Associate Professor of Nutrition, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, Puerto Rico
- Alexandra Reyes, MEd, RDN Registered Dietitian and Coordinator of Nutrition Education, WIC Program, Puerto Rico
- Maribel Campos, MD, MBA, MSc, FAAP, Associate Professor, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, Puerto Rico